Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Spring Fever Sets In

I'm out on a small lake in a boat on a summer day and the water's so clear and refreshing looking that I pinch my nose and jump in (woo! so refreshing!).  Now I have options.  Get back in the boat or swim for shore.  It's a nice day for a swim.  Which shore?  North, South, East or West?  Toward the beach at the north shore, the cottage toward the west? 

If I really threw myself out of a boat today a) I would freeze to death because it's March 1 in New York State, and b) I would pick a direction because I know I can't stay in the middle of the lake forever.

Now envision this less picturesque but more real-life example:

I'm on the couch in the evening.  I could work on any number of fun things I want to do, or I could stay on the couch (not a terrible option - we have premium cable).  I've been on the couch.  I know the couch.  I'm comfortable on the couch.  But I'm a little bored on the couch.

So, I'm throwing myself off the couch, into the water, picking a direction and starting to swim.

1 comment: